Aquarium fish and plants is blog about aquariums and live in my aquariums. I will post here daily about live my fishes and aquatic plants. Next I will post here articles about my experiences in aquariums. I hope that my informations will be useful.


Download aquarium book

9.1.07

Peat in aquarium

What change peat in aquarium?

Peat have ability to bring down pH and hardness. Change color of water from clear to brown. Into to water are release hormones, CO2 and may be some nitrates. Some toxic metals are ineffective. What make these changes? Acid materials are fantastic materials with fantastic attributes. Are this attributes fantastic or no? Try talk about some positives and negatives.
Positives: 1. bring down pH and hardness 2. don´t change conductivity 3. to water are release much good materials for fishes Negatives: 1. water must be tested frequently 2. is not for fishes which need hardness water with high pH 3. if you have dutch aquarium, some plants don´t like water with lower pH 4. the time while you find correct peat and amount of peat would be long on the start of use If you decide to use peat read my whole article. What peat to use and where to buy ?
Attention! Don´t use peat for garden. This can be with some chemicals. Must use only clever peat without any chemicals. I think, the best solution is to use granulated peat from SERA, JBL and other specialize firms. You have assurance that this peat is for aquarium use. I use peat from this firms too.
How do it ? Are two forms of use.
1. The first is more complex but more accurate. Enter peat to container with water. Leave it for some days while acidic materials are extract to water. Then measure pH this water. It could be about 4-5. Now you can flow some this water to aquarium. Do it slowly for parts and measure changes in aquarium. This form of use is safety as second, because you have control over quality of water.
2. The second is more easily but dangerous. Enter peat to pantie-stockings. If you have a small aquarium, sink pantie directly to water. On the start peat will be float on top. If you have a large aquarium, you can enter peat with pantie-stockings into filter.
How much and how often?
Here is not exact answer. The main factor is water which you want to adjust. I use peat from JBL and Sera. I enter 250 g on 250 liter of water. I change peat every month when I clean the filter. Peat don´t change the color of water but lower pH by 0,5. Leave the peat in water longer does n´t effect. pH start go up slowly. Now you can start to experiment with peat.

1 comment:

ابوالفضل عسکری said...

hello
may nime is abolfazl
blog you very very good
you mi link???
www.aqua-quest.blogspot.com
fishprofiles......